ATON has provided extensive environmental consulting services during work on the Chemetco Superfund site in Hartford, Illinois.
In order to fulfill air monitoring requirements specified in a 2013 Consent Decree with the United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) and Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA), ATON performed daily air monitoring during clean-up of the smelter site. Continuous, real-time monitoring was conducted 24 hours/day, 7 days/week for airborne dust (as PM10) at fixed air monitoring station around the work zone perimeter.
Additional services have included:
- Limited indoor air quality (IAQ) surveys of on-site administrative buildings
- Asbestos-containing material (ACM) inspections
- Sampling for airborne mold spore concentrations
- Employee exposure monitoring for heavy metals and silica
- Employee training
- Development of a Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) Contingency Plan
- Monthly discharge monitoring related to a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit.